A gorgeous Sequim custom home kitchen is the key to a woman’s heart. Men often make the mistake of thinking the key to a woman’s heart is flowers or whispering sweet nothings in her ear or emptying the litter box.
There is one key that stands above all others when it comes to a woman’s heart and making all her dreams come true. Before we get to that ultimate key, you’ve got to find some humor in the idea that a man is writing this article. It gets even better when you find out I’m a bachelor.
In this photo Dan and Patty enjoy their custom built kitchen by Sequim and Port Angeles Custom Home Builder Rick Anderson of Anderson Homes, LLC.
Brief Interlude: As I’m wring this on my netbook at a nice restaurant in Port Angeles, I decided to bring in some experts on this subject, since my own expertise on what women want may appear to lack credibility. So I found a table in the restaurant with four women eating and talking. I ask them the question, “What is the key to a woman’s heart,” and here are their enthusiastic answers. 1. Picking up his own underwear; 2. Paying attention to details; 3. Being considerate; and 4. Not being selfish.
Finally, let’s get to the real key to a woman’s heart. Men, if you build your woman a custom home with a kitchen that speaks to her, that is considerate to her needs, that places her interests and preferences above your own, and you pay attention to the smallest details in her dream kitchen, you will possess the keys to her heart. One more thing, according to my panel of female experts: don’t leave your underwear on the kitchen floor. Now you have the keys to your woman’s heart. Guaranteed!
Since we’re getting all mushy today, let’s not stop yet. Remember, as women are often fond of saying, “When you’re talking to a man, don’t assume he gets it.” So now that we have told all men how to find the keys to a woman’s heart, we need to spell it out for these guys. (Gee whiz ladies, imagine how darn hard it is for me as a man to get outside the boundaries of my own mind!)
Here are some suggested scripts I recommend a man use with his wife as they plan together to build their custom home. Remember, ultimate happiness in your home may depend upon how well you use these questions and what you do with the answers.
1. “Honey, let’s spend some time, just you and me, talking about what you would like in your kitchen.”
2. “Dear, if you could have the perfect kitchen, what would it look like?”
3. “Now honey, if we are limited to the budget that you and I agreed we could afford, how would you change that design? In other words, within our budget, how can we make this kitchen your little dream land?”
4. “You know honey, I have some cool plans for my garage, and you’ve given me the freedom to set it up just like I’ve always wanted. I want to express my appreciation and my love to you by giving you the same freedom to design your kitchen the way you have always dreamed. Honey, what can I do to make that happen for you?”
5. “As we go through the house plans with our builder (designer, architect), would you mind being there so you can give our builder the input to make sure your kitchen is the little Heaven I hope it will be for you?”
6. “Now, tell me what little special features do you want in your kitchen? What little things would just be the frosting on the cake for you? I want this kitchen to be special, because dear, you are special to me. I want this kitchen to express my love to you every single time you bake something. Tell me, what special features would bless your heart?”
Of course men, these questions are only valuable if you listen to and understand and act upon the answers. And men need to realize that what is going on is far bigger than just answers to architectural questions. While all that is important, it is the substance of what is happening, the relationship building that is happening in this process. It is the lifetime bonding and blessing that will continue in your new retirement home. Where better to bless your wife than in the planning and construction of her kitchen in your new Sequim custom home?
Last Updated on September 2, 2019 by Chuck Marunde
May I offer a tiny edition to Question #6? Just change sentence four to read “I want this kitchen to express my love to you every single time you bake something for me.” 🙂
Really, you have to admit this piece is a little silly, but I think you left out a very important fact: the kitchen is the most important room in today’s American home. Families gather in the kitchen, friends meet their hosts in the kitchen, business deals occur in the kitchen, cooking happens in the kitchen, people do a lot of their eating, talking, and almost everything else (except drop their dirty underwear on the floor there, we hope). It doesn’t surprise me at all that so many home owners want to “show off” their dishes, etc, in their new kitchens to guests, by means of those beautiful glass-fronted cabinets. The owners don’t need to see what’s in their cabinets, because they already know which cabinets hold the dishes. It’s for the benefit (and admiration) of their guests!
Anyway, I know their are informational articles circulating everywhere that describe this newer phenomenon in homemaking, that of making the kitchen the center of home life. That’s the best reason I can think of for remodeling one’s kitchen into the classiest room of the house.
Thanks for your interesting and informative articles. They’re a good read, and give some surprising–and often sobering–facts to ponder.
You’re quite right Barbara. There is so much more importance to the kitchen in the American family than what a woman (or man) might do in it as expressed in my article. I did exaggerate my point with some of my proposed questions, because as we all know, most men would never even think of having this kind of inquisitive and loving conversation with his wife. My point is that they should . . . in their own words.